View from where I was standing...and yes, it was all a blur: ;)

Sorry for the lack of posts the past few weeks - Commencement was August 2nd and I got sick the weekend after that. The ceremony went very well and I've received many nice compliments on how smoothly everything went. Beyond that, I'd rather forget about it and move on (just brings back stressful feelings!).

Now, on to the topic for today. In the past several months, I have come to a self-discovery of sorts. I am a Me Too Iguana. For those of you unfamiliar with this charming children's book series, you'll stay unfamiliar, I'm afraid, since it's out of print. :) But I loved it growing up, and always enjoyed this particular story of an iguana that wants to be like everyone around her. She sees the lion and wants mane like him ("Me too, me too, I want mane too!"), so she makes some fake mane to wear. She likes the zebra's stripes, so paints them on herself...you get the picture. Why am I a Me Too Iguana? I always pick up some of the the idiosyncrasies and personalities of the people with whom I associate - I don't TRY to do this, but I just do unconsciously. For instance, my dear friend Eve used to say "Curses!" a lot while we were roommates. I picked up on that. A coworker now says "Bah!" and I find I've picked up on that, too. I even try very hard not to say "Bah!" but find myself doing it anyway. Growing up, I picked up on the Winnie the Pooh theme - my brother liked Eeyore, so I liked Tigger. My brothers did band, so when it came time for me to choose between dance and band in junior high, band was the obvious choice. I even changed my major in college from Psychology to English (Eeyore brother was also majoring in English). I like ABBA like my dad...in fact, most of my musical taste comes from my family. I've picked up on working out (thankfully!) from my wonderful husband. There are countless other examples...which means...I have no personality of my own! :(
I talked with my mom about this whole issue, and she pointed out that since I was just a wee thing, I always mimicked accents (Cowboy, Irish, British, whatever I heard) and did imitations. I know my parents thought that was cute, and that it drove my brothers nuts (especially Cowboy). I guess I'm a born sponge.
Look at it this way - I pick up on things because I respect and love the people I copy. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery! So, I will just have to embrace the fact that I'm a Me Too Iguana and not be ashamed.*
*even though the whole point of the story is that the iguana learns to like herself for who she is and stops copying everyone else. *sigh*
1 comment:
I've lately started giving large sums of money to Eeyore-brother. I think you should do this, too. :-)
Seriously--you've got to mention to people when you start blogging. I just found the link through Susie's page. Oh--and you really ought to start actually writing every weekday, too. That helps keep readership and all that. Toodles!
Post a Comment